Life Group Guide - 10.21.18
For the week of Oct 21-27
Not A Fan - God-Sized Prayers
Scripture This Week:
Mark 10:46-52 NIV
46Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, were leaving the city, a blind man, Bartimaeus (which means “son of Timaeus”), was sitting by the roadside begging. 47When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” 48Many rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” 49Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.” So they called to the blind man, “Cheer up! On your feet! He’s calling you.” 50Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus. 51 “What do you want me to do for you?”Jesus asked him. The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.” 52 “Go, ”said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.”Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.
Hebrews 4:15-16 NIV
15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
Main Thought This Week:
Through Bartimaeus' journey in crying out to Jesus in this scripture, we see that we need to embrace the following points:
1) Cry Out Shamelessly To Jesus
- He did not let how others saw him hinder him.
- God loves us unconditionally and does not waver on that due to popular opinion.
2) Ignore Opposing Voices
- Disallow those voices (within or without) that attempt to silence our cry to God.
- Let our voice rise to subdue other voices like doubt, shame, unworthiness, insecurity, criticism, etc.
3) Boldly Draw Close
- Our approach indicates the sincerity and intensity of our desire.
4) Dare To Ask BIG!
- The journey of breaking through the barriers of asking big things of Jesus, of God, led Bartimaeus to follow Jesus in a deeper, more committed, more intimate way.
- When you put yourself out there, in faith to Jesus, you get to follow not just his teachings from afar, you get to follow His hand in your life and the lives of those around you, up close and personal, unmistakable and unshakable. INTIMACY is gained and grown when we pray big prayers, in faith, causing us to a more committed relationship with Christ.
Fan = ME sized prayers
Follower = HE sized prayers
- What stood out to you from this week’s message?
- Can you recall a time when voices from within or outside of yourself opposed your boldness in crying out to Jesus? Explain.
- Share about a time when God answered a Big prayer that you wondered if it was possible?
- What are some specific prayers in your life that you are hesitant to ask for because they are BIG?